Scandi-style gravadlax open sandwiches
These light and healthy sandwiches (Smørrebrød) are packed with bright Scandi flavours
Makes 6 sandwiches, two of each variation
- 6 slices of fresh rye bread, thinly sliced (or substitute for gluten-free if preferred)
- 200g cream cheese (room temperature)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp horseradish
- 1 x 150g packet of The Wee Smokehouse gravadlax
- 2 radishes, finely sliced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp sauerkraut
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- A handful of mesclun
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, grated
- A small handful fresh herbs (parsley, dill or chives)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Begin by making the horseradish spread. Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, juice of half a lemon and horseradish together in a small bowl and whisk the ingredients until the spread is smooth and creamy.
Divide the mixture evenly between the slices of bread, spreading it out to the edges.
For the radish sandwich: top two of the sandwiches with a slice of gravadlax each, then divide the radish and avocado slices evenly between them.
For the sauerkraut sandwich: top two of the sandwiches with a slice of gravadlax, then with half the sauerkraut each, a few slices of red onion and a few mesclun leaves.
For the fennel slaw sandwich: combine the fennel and apple in a small bowl with a squeeze of lemon. Top two of the sandwiches with a slice of gravadlax, then divide the slaw between them.
Garnish all of the sandwiches with chopped herbs, a spritz of lemon juice, a sprinkle of salt and a generous grind of black pepper. Best enjoyed immediately.